Tuesday 26 August 2014

In praise of Nant Gwrtheyrn Welsh language centre

My widowed grandmother lived on Anglesey so I have been coming to North Wales for holidays all my life. The Welsh language has always been on the fringes of my vision as an unreadable signpost or an uninviting experience in a local shop. I played rugby here and local friends who spoke their own language and translated for me when a spat word in a scrum was a put down, so not the greatest experience of the language for a "Sais" from Liverpool

  

Having experienced the world through travel on business I speak and understand a little (un peu, ein bischen, “tipyn bach”) of French, German and Cantonese and not much Welsh, although I always found myself missing the beautiful island of Anglesey. In Hong Kong I missed the trees, In America the sense of ancient history. “Call that the oldest house in Washington DC, my favourite pub is older than that.”  Fed up of travelling I was having a late night drink at a conference in Montreal. I was asked what I want to do in the future and I said that I wanted to live in North Wales, that train of thought was set and a few months later I resigned. 

There were no jobs and so when I did make a lifestyle choice to move here I had to make my own way. So in 2007 with my Irish wife we bought a hotel business in an “idyllic coastal location”. It was tough choice, six weeks of madness in the summer and long quiet weeks in the Winter with just enough custom to keep us open. Living in a Welsh community you are immersed in the Welsh language and I made a conscious effort to use Welsh language in marketing, for menus and in general use. The “Croeso gynnes Gymraeg” (now I understand the transmutation) to match the “Cead Mille Failte” of the Irish. For some it was too little, for others too much, an afternoon spent asking the welsh speaking drinkers and staff while trying to finalise a bilingual menu was particularly frustrating.

We came out of the hotel in 2010 after four wet summers, a full understanding of the credit crunch and a smattering of welsh words. Since then I have worked in pubs and nightclubs as a bouncer, with an eclectic mix of marketing and writing to make up the numbers. It has not been a great career choice but I’ve had a great time and picked up a few more words, “Iawn Boi” is of great value as a non committal nod on entrance. Feeling that I should I have investigated starting a Welsh learners community course on a number of occasions, each time never committing to the ten weeks duration. A holiday in the middle or a family event, meaning that I would miss an important slice of the course and therefore not catch up being an easy excuse not to go.

But I live in North Wales, I have many Welsh speaking friends and so I should go and learn. Right! Next time something comes up I will book.

I catch a bit of “Cariad a Iaiath” on S4C (is that really Neville Southall), which is at the Nant Gwrtheyrn Welsh language centre on the Llyn Pensinsula. I’ve been there after a walk up the Rivals (sorry Yr Eifl, the fork) good café there, nice lunch, amazing views, I even picked up a course brochure, but a bit pricey for the courses, perhaps in the future, when I’ve sold a load of books.



After the S4C programme I spot a competition in the Mail to go on a course to Nant Gwrtheyrn. A 3 day beginners course in July. I sent an email and forgot about it. Then came a phone call that I had won a place, “Da Iawn, Diolch yn fawr rhiawn (er Did I just say great, Thanks?)”. The prize was non-residential and after some thought I paid for two nights accommodation for full immersion.

Then last Tuesday I drove down the windy valley road to the centre. I drove with trepidation partly to avoid the steep cliff sides just off the road but also I was nervous. I had been to a café the Saturday before and made the mistake of saying about the Welsh language that “I understood a bit”, the woman replied “So does a dog!”

Perhaps I was expecting a pat on the head for being a good boy and making an effort. I left the café wondering why the hell I should bother. But I went on my course and I am very glad I did.

Plenty of Coffee, lovely people, great weather, the aforesaid amazing views and a peaceful environment in which to learn and be inspired. The teacher, Elwen Owen was calm and encouraging. She didn’t once hit me across the head with a ruler for disrespecting her language with my dodgy pronunciation.

At the end of three intense days my head was frazzled and I had enjoyed it immensely, made new friends, played some games, sung some songs (badly) and had a great time. Most importantly I had broken through a dam of misunderstanding. I didn’t know the alphabet, the pronunciation, the greetings, the colours, the days of the week, the emotions, but I do now and want to learn more, the verbs and the grammar, a bit more than the basics.

Whenever the next course may be I have already used my new knowledge in shops and with friends. Bendegedig! 

For details of courses and iaccommodation - http://www.nantgwrtheyrn.org/

Hwyl Fawr

JR Sheridan


www.jrsheridan.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment